I love my job...

I do. I love my job. That doesn't mean I don't have days when it's difficult or frustrating to be at work. The last week has been less than ideal, I'm intermittently busy and feeling less than ideally healthy. This is my worst-case scenario for a week. I also have a co-worker who refuses to hand over responsibilities, either for  his own feeling of self-worth or perhaps a subconscious resentment of me, my skills, my positive attitude. I don't know, but I hope he figures out I'm here to help.

The job is great, it's the politics that are best avoided, that and the anti-American sentiment that ripples through this once Canadian organisation. There's a distinct lack of communication, and a raft of other issues, but this is normal. My time at Lafarge North America was a perfect example of the chaos of big business. It was baptism in truly BIG business, even though I worked for Microsoft (Canada) years ago, MSFT was not big business then, it was a fraternity, campus-like, and fun.

Loving your job is a choice. You can regard the demands on you as a burden or a blessing, but employers can regard you in the same way. There's no such thing as "job security" these days. The best you can do is commit to the role, do your best, and be happy with how things are. If you are truly dissatisfied, you can choose to move on. I do NOT recommend jumping out of a role without being there a year, and when you do leave, you need to leave on the best possible terms. No rants.

The sad reality is that business these days owns you, your only right is the right to leave. It remains up to you to stay positive, and your spouse, friends, and family owe it to you to help you remain positive and committed. They should not be berating your employer, or you for not finding a better one. Only positive energy, prayers, and outlooks will help make the burden less.

Comments

Popular Posts